Saturday, May 30, 2015

I noticed a few things

Every time there is a noise on the car, i have a heart attack. Not because i think we'll crash and die, but because it's going to cost a fortune. I was lucky enough to have gotten my grandfather's car when he died, a 2000 Toyota Avalon with about 100,000 miles on it in. My grandfather took great care of the car and it didn't need anything to start but a break job.

By the time we got back to Maine from NY, break job had deteriorated by some other problem, needing yet another break job with rotters this time. Hopefully that will be the end of that for a while.

Then comes the inspection, which yields the famous, "i noticed a few things". Oh great! 2 new tires and a bar that i don't know what it does costs $450. But the car looks great, really in great shape.

Exactly 2 months later...a noise. That's not good, a noise is never good. We take it in and wait. The cv shaft is loose. To fix it will be $660! That is just fucken insane. People spend a fortune on cars only to continue to pour money into them. We are at the mercy of mechanics and the automobile industry. And don't even get me started on the gas thing.

How can i even know that what they're saying is even true? How do I know they're not secretly sabotaging my car so that it will break every month?

I finally find a local guy called Sepp, a German and he fixes the car, $100, 15 minutes. Job well done.

No comments: