Sunday, January 11, 1981

The Reenatype


What differentiates the Reenatype print from a traditional photographic print is the process. The source: a Polaroid (not a negative). This process gives the photograph a very unique, individual look. Through all of the advances in photography, the magic of the Polaroid still does the best in capturing “the right moment”...

The “Reenatype” series is a very unique style of photography, a personal process developed after years of experimenting and learning different photographic mediums. I was always amazed at the captured image and how it came to develop. My curiosity grew as I continued to experiment with the art and science of photography. Since the beginning of doing photography I knew that I would push photographic techniques as far as I could, but I have come full circle to where people first saw the instant developed photograph…the Polaroid.

My obsession with Polaroid intensified as I realized how much feeling the image emanated. As my process developed, I sought out more Polaroid cameras with features that added to my technique. Experimentation became an everyday adventure with new results all the time. I developed exactly what I was searching for, to have complete creative control with a hands on process yeilding a one of a kind print (non digital!).

Through this process I have come to be infatuated with, I began capturing the true essence of the world through my eyes. This often included anything that evoked emotion, which is often twisted, warped, and oddly beautiful in a dark sense. It became my goal to convey my vision as I saw it, to have the viewer experience a feeling, an emotion, something that connected one person to another, artist to viewer. Being human means exploring the different areas of the mind and playing with our imaginations.

The Polaroid is customarily contained in it’s small square, a memory frozen, wanting to be immortalized, touched, and remembered. I have figured out a way to break the image out of it's box. I only hope my work will communicate the beauty in which I see the world, unique, wondrous, and beautifully imperfect. In today’s modern day of technology, it is hard to find a hand crafted photograph. This is my contribution to keeping that art alive as well as finding more ways to continue to explore this medium.

No comments: